The fashion charts for autumn/winter 2015.
1. #Balmainarmy – This season it’s all about Oliver Rusteing’s Balmain Army, a gang of celebrities, models and beautiful people congregating around fashion’s most photogenic designer and his amazing wares. With the launch of Balmain x H&M collection at the start of November, the public can now join his Balmain Army. Long live his sequined, fantastic designs!
2. Dolce & Gabbana’s celebration of motherhood – There was an inspiring message behind Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana’s autumn winter 2015 collection, and that was their homage to the mother, or La Mamma, as the Italians call her. For the final of their runway show, they sent down pregnant women, mothers clutching babies and holding the hands of children to celebrate their love and appreciation of this important role of women. As a mother, I genuinely found it inspiring after their stupid comments regarding IVF a few months ago. Way to go guys, and keep up the good work.
3. Geek is cool – Gucci, Prada, Lacoste and Tommy Hilfiger made geek chic cool again. Whether you’re into the Margot Tenenbaum variation as found at Prada and Gucci, or the more academic style found at Lacoste, it’s cool to see geek chic back in fashion. Long may the nerds rule this season!
4. Blue Steel at Valentino – With still months to go until Zoolander 2 hits our cinema screens, it was amazing to see both Ben Stiller and Owen walk down the Valentino runway in their alter egos, and it made for a very fun show. We hope this humorous look at fashion continues for the autumn/winter period.
5. Givenchy’s facial jewellery – Love it or loathe it, we’ve got a feeling this trend is gonna be huge for autumn/winter. So in a way you got to hand it to Riccardo Tisci for capturing our attention and getting us talking. Only time will tell whether this one becomes a trend beloved or loathed by the end of the season.
6. Gucci furry loafers – Every season we have a new WTF piece of fashion. For autumn/winter 2014 we had Christian Dior’s naff sneaker heels, back for the spring/summer 2015 season we had Givenchy’s heavy nose earrings and this season it appears to be these furry loafers that look like the offspring of cousin Itt. But you can bet your designer clutch on it that the style bloggers will be all over them. Word is they’re already sold out and impossible to get.
7. Meadham Kirchhoff no more – The British label, known for their outlandish catwalk shows and colourful punk style has officially dissolved, according to one of the co-founders, Edward Meadham himself. Though they ran into difficulty last December, it was assumed they would find a way to continue working as a business, but that dream has officially ended when Meadham confirmed to iD magazine that they have lost their studio and archive. For more on the story, read about it here and say goodbye to a beloved British rebel and label.
8. Natalie Massenet leaves Net-a-Porter early – In other shocking fashion news, Natalie Messenet, the founder of Net-a-Porter has left the company a month early, after it was announced that the company would be merging with its Italian rival Yoox to form a super luxury online-retail brand. For more you can read about it here.
9. 90’s fashion is definitely out – With the seventies and eighties fashion trends riding high for autumn/winter 2015, it’s finally time to say that 90’s fashion is buried and gone. Let go of those denim overalls and say bye-bye to those ridiculously high waisted, light coloured denim jeans that leave you look shapeless and frankly, rather fat. The 90’s aren’t cool anymore. Time to move on, until they come back again in a couple of years. I for one, am delighted by this, so yay!
10. End of summer. Boo! – And this last one is as inevitable as time. With the rise of autumn/winter clothing in the shops it means summer is coming to an end. Which means we can say goodbye to gorgeous sunny days, warm weather, shorts and mini skirts and say hello to freezing winds, dark days, long nights and a really depressing English weather. Boo! So enjoy the last of the sun guys, because it’s gonna be a while until you see it again!